Thanks for your interest in working at the Carter County Sheriff’s Office!
Introductory Benefits for Employees of the Carter County Sheriff’s Office:
- Competitive Pay – $18.47 starting pay for Corrections and $18.80 starting pay for Patrol
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Different Insurance plans to choose from, including an HSA option
- Medical Coverage Offered to Employee: Medical Coverage, Prescription Coverage, Dental Coverage, Vision Coverage. Employer pays a portion of employee insurance. (Optional coverage for spouse & dependents for a cost)
- Flexible Spending Account (Pre-taxed)
- Retirement Plan – Employee portion pre-taxed (5%), County adds a portion as well (TCRS)
- Employee Assistance Program – Free, 24/7, 365 days a year, Voluntary Benefits – are paid 100% by the employee
- 401k additional Retirement Plan
- Additional insurance options available for purchase including: Supplemental life insurance for employee, spouse or dependents; Short term disability; Long term disability; Accident insurance; Critical Illness; Long & Short term care.
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave
- Uniforms & equipment provided
- Opportunities for Advancement
Visit the Dispatch Office in the front of the jail (900 Third Street, Elizabethton) and pick up an application or download an application here:
Applications can be returned at the dispatch office.
Civil Service Exam
All applicants must take and pass the Civil Service Exam to be eligible for employment with the Carter County Sheriff’s Office.
Our next Civil Service exam will be on December 13 at 6 p.m. at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology, Elizabethton (426 Highway 91). Applications will be made available on site beginning at 5 PM, and you may fill out an application at that time if you have not done so yet. Testing will begin at 6 PM, so be sure to arrive with enough time to complete your application beforehand if necessary.
Minimum qualifications: High School Diploma or GED, proof of US Citizenship.